Got my Bentonite Clay in the mail the other day! Yay!! I'm excited. I've been hearing about it for a long time from curly friends, blog sites and hair forums but always overlooked it (just as I did Henna which is now the love of my hair life). I recently decided to try it and see if I'll fall in love with it as well. I typically pamper my hair and body on Sunday so its perfect that I try it out today.
In case you are like, "What is she talking about?" Bentonite Clay is packed with over 70 naturally occurring trace minerals that when mixed with water, swells and draws out dirt, oils, toxins and any other impurities like a sponge.
Silica- 61.4% - (required for strong healthy hair growth and skin tissue regeneration)
pH - 8.3 - 9.1
- Bentonite can be applied topically to skin and wounds or taken orally to draw toxins and impurities out of the body quickly. Bentonite Clay removes poisons (bacterial poisoning, salmonella, etc.) and intestinal parasites out of the intestinal tract while alkalizing the body.
- Bentonite Clay is excellent to rejuvenate and cleanse the skin. Topical applications are helpful for acne, eczema, psoriasis, rashes, wound healing, and help draw poison from ant, bee, wasp, and similar bug stings and bites. It draws excess oils and debris to the surface, boosts circulation to tighten the skin and stimulate blood flow, and whisks away dead skin cells that can clog pores.
- Bentonite is a swelling clay. When it is mixed with water, it rapidly swells open like a highly porous sponge. From here the toxins are drawn into the sponge through electrical attraction and once there, they are bound.
- Bentonite Clay may also be used like a shampoo trapping and removing dirt, debris, build up and other particles from your hair and scalp.
I'm sure now you can see how this stuff may just end up being a glam girl's dream. I plan on using it for my skin as well as as a shampoo/treatment for my hair. I'll be making the mixture and applying as a hair mask tonight but won't do a full review until I have tried it a few times and so I can be sure that it really works or doesn't work consistently. I purchased a 1 lb container of the Now Foods brand clay from SwansonVitamins.com for $8.81.
Here are a few recipes for beauty treatments using BC <via Anita Grant>
" If you feel like pampering yourself here's a recipe for an Organic Watermelon & Bentonite Clay Body Wrap:
Prep time: 20 mins
Total time required for treatment: 45 min to an hour
What you'll need:
Strips of clean thin towels or sheets
Big Mixing bowl
Body wraps are messy so the best place to take the wrap is in the bath tub.
Drink at least 2 litres of water to get rid of all the toxins in your body.
Have a warm shower before applying the body wrap as this will open your pores.
1. Take 473ml (2 cups) of hot Spring or Distilled water or an infusion of Apple Cider Vinegar and Organic Chamomile Flowers.
2. Add 59ml (1/4 cup) of Dead Sea Salt (Skin tonic, detoxifying, nutrient enriched) and stir until the salt is dissolved.
3. Add 236 grams (1 cup) of Bentonite clay
4. To this add 29ml (2 tbsp) of Organic Watermelon
(absorbed into the skin, rich in Vitamin C and Omega 6 & 9 essential fatty acids (EFAs))
5. Stir to form a warm, wet paste.
Dip your strips of clean thin towels or sheets into the mix one by one making sure your mixture stays warm.
You may need to re-heat it if it cools down too quickly. Soak each strip in the mix then wrap it around your body start at your ankles and work your way up. It's important to keep warm, if your bathroom is a little chilly wrap yourself in a washable blanket lay in an empty bath and relax for at least 60 minutes.
After 60 minutes - rinse off in a warm shower. Your who body will tingle with delightful softness.
Treat yourself once a month to help keep your skin detoxified and smooth.
Bentonite Clay - Naturally Curly and Afro Curly Popping Hair Care Treatment:
This recipe depends on the length and thickness of your naturally curly hair.
Prep time: 10 mins
Mix 1 to 2 parts Bentonite clay
Slowly add *water to the clay until you achieve a pancake mix texture.
Apply to your hair (dry or wet)
Allow to set for between 15 - 20 minutes
Rinse thoroughly until it's all out of your curls, kinks and coils.
*water can be replaced with your choice of liquid for example:
Organic Coconut Milk
or anything you like...
Hair Care Benefits:
After you Shampoo
One single treatment of Bentonite Clay will remove build-up from your scalp leaving naturally curly and Afro hair clean and clear.
As a shampoo replacement
Bentonite Clay may also be used like a shampoo trapping and removing dirt, debris, build up and other particles from your hair and scalp.
Lightly dusting with Bentonite clay after shaving does soothe the area(s) & helps prevent the itchy after-rash some women (and blokes) have to contend with."
If you ladies try or already include these into your regimen, please gush about your results and experiences in the comments below. Thanks! Smooches :)