Hello my curlies!
I want to share with you ladies one of my best kept hairstyling secrets. It lasts for up to a week at a time (for me, longer for some), quick and easy, has tons of style potential..and its low maintenance.
It’s the Braidout!!!
My Braid Out Routine...
1. I usually co-wash first, I apply my conditioner, wait 10 minutes, then comb through with wide tooth comb only after finger combing out all tangles or kinks.
2. Then I apply a deep conditioner and let it sit 30 minutes to an hour with a shower cap on so my body heat assists in the conditioning. ( I don’t always deep condition before a braid outn but I do recommend doing this at least twice a month).
3. Find your most reliable leave in and holding agent. I usually opt for the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Before applying this, I ALWAYS add pure Coconut oil to my damp hair. Then I separate my hair into 4 big sections.
4. Before braiding each sections I re-comb out the section applying Eco Styler gel in either the Argan oil or Olive oil kind.
5. Then BRAID away!! You can part out different patterns or braid in different styles.
6. I usually do this at night so that It can dry over night, I then unbraid in the morning and apply coconut oil while unbraiding,
7. To refresh weekly, I use the Shea Moisture coconut and hibiscus hold & shine moisture mist.
Those are my seven easy steps. I know it seems like a lot but as you get a routine going, it gets easier. The style options are limitless. I can do a faux hawk, toss it all to one side, a quick updo or wear a nice curly fro with this style. It usually lasts me 4 to 5 days as long as I sleep with a protective bonnet nightly. I prefer the pattern of a braid out over the normal twist out because I find the curls to be more defined. They have a nicer pop to them.
Products Used... (click the image to purchase directly from blog)
Nutrient rich vegetable butters condition hair, restoring moisture, body and shine. Enhances curls, minimizes frizz and provides curl control. For thick, curly hair. Sulfate-free and color-safe.
- Coconut oil: Hydrates and protects hair from heat and chemical damage
- Silk protein: Reduces breakage, strengthens hair, adds smoothness and silkiness
- Neem oil: An age-old ayurvedic oil that strengthens hair and provides brilliant shine
- No parabens, phthalates, paraffin, gluten, propylene glycol, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance, animal testing, PABA, synthetic color, DEA, or animal ingredients
Natural product, color and aroma may vary. Made in USA Apply to damp or styled hair..
Made with 100% pure olive oil. Olive oil helps your scalp naturally regulate its own moisturizing system. Olive oil helps attract moisture to the scalp, and holds it in. Like all our styling gels, it is weightless and will leave your hair with a healthy shine and superior hold.
$14.99 by Nature's Way
The products I listed are just my personal preference but you don’t have to live by the products I have provided. All you need is: your favorite leave-in, a good holding agent, and also a refresher for the styling later in the week. One product I do recommend to everyone is pure coconut oil. You can find in it your local grocery store or order online (by clicking the product images in this post). I say this because it is such a univeral moisturizer year round (and is also one of the only oils that actually penetrated the hair shaft.) There will be a post done just on the benefits of coconut oil at some point.
Thanks so much for taking the time out to read (this is my first post as a writer for Luxe Glam..YAY!!). I hope this is helpful to you all. Post your results/comments below. You can reach me via Facebook : Cindy Eleasha Hill Newbern or Twitter: @cocoloveaquari . I can’t wait to see your results my curlies as well as get your feedback about what you want posts on next!